This is an all ages family event; no alcohol will be permitted on site. If you are suspected of drinking, you will be asked to leave the convention.
Must be displayed at all times, non-transferrable and no refunds if lost.
Costumes deemed to be offensive may result in expulsion from the convention.
Convention Centre Guidelines
Please treat Convention Centre staff with courtesy and respect. We want to remind all members registered with the hotel that they are responsible for any and all damages they may incur in any part of the Convention Centre.
Photography of Attendees
Please remember to be courteous and ask permission before taking photos with, or of other people. It is inappropriate to take high or low angle shots, place your hands on a person or request sexual poses without prior consent. Please do not request personal information from individuals with whom you are unfamiliar.
Photographs and Video/Audio Recording
Filming at select events will not be permitted, at all. You will be removed from the convention without permission for re-entry.
Otherwise—we ask all attendees to follow “Wheaton’s Law.” Be considerate and respectful of your environment, and of the other attendees who may be in your film. If you are filming costumes—ensure you get permission from that individual before taking their image.
Photography during the autograph sessions may be prohibited where noted.
Filming should be for personal use only. Any photography, film or audio released (via any medium) for personal gain or profit is not permitted.
Ticket Returns/Refunds Policy
All Hal-Con ticket sales are final and no refunds are available. Hal-Con ticket holders are welcome, at their own discretion, to transfer or resell their tickets to other would-be convention attendees. If you purchased an electronic ticket, you must send an email to email@example.com to arrange for the name on the ticket to be changed, otherwise the ticket will be refused at the Registration Desk.
Guest appearances are subject to change or cancellation due to professional obligations. Please check the Hal-Con website for the most current listing prior to the convention. Refunds cannot be issued in the event of a guest cancellation.
There will be no refunds on lost/stolen tickets or wristbands or if you are removed from the convention by staff or security.
Hal-Con wants everyone to have a safe convention. We want to encourage people to have fun with their costume designs while keeping the safety of the public and fellow convention members around them in mind.
The following items are forbidden from being brought into the convention:
- Any weapons that may cause a mess (silly string, filled water guns, water balloons, etc.)
- Explosives (including firecrackers, caps, and fireworks)
- Chemical weapons (including mace and pepper spray)
- NO live ammunition firearms are permitted. This includes those firearms that have no loaded ammunition or the firing bolt or pin removed. THE AUTHORITIES WILL BE CONTACTED IMMEDIATELY UPON THE DISCOVERY OF ANY SUCH WEAPON.
- ANY concealable weapons (knives, brass knuckles, switch blades, etc.) will be seized, and anyone found to be concealing any such items will be asked to leave and reported to the authorities
- Any other weapon(s) prohibited by Canadian Law
The following items are permitted, but will be subjected to additional scrutiny:
- Metal-bladed weapons (including axes, daggers, hatchets, knives, kunai, swords, sword canes, etc.), regardless of sharpness, they must remain sheathed and peace-bonded at all times, and must be made obvious to convention staff, or else they will be seized
- Functional replica firearms (including air soft guns, BB guns, cap guns, paintball guns, and pellet guns) are permitted only for display during the costume contest and must NOT carry a live charge (CO2, compressed air, etc.)
- Please mark your prop firearms with an orange tip if possible for security reasons
- Functional projectile weapons (including blow guns, crossbows, long bows, slingshots) must be rendered inoperable (unstrung, plugged, etc.)
- Blunt weapons (including staffs, sticks and clubs)
- Hard prop weapons (including props made of metal, fibreglass, wood, and glass)
Should people be entering with any of the above, they will be stored backstage until the time of the costume contest.
Any attendee found to be in willful violation of these policies will be asked to leave and authorities will be notified.
Any items purchased at the convention, once removed from their packaging, are regarded the same as any prop weapon brought into the convention and must comply with these rules. If your costume prop takes up a significant amount of space—enough to obstruct hallways or walking areas—or is so cumbersome so as to impede your movement, we recommend you only have it for the costume contest.
Anti-Harassment & Anti-Bullying Policy
Hal-Con is dedicated to providing a harassment-free (including bullying-free) convention experience for everyone regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment or bullying of convention participants (including attendees, press, exhibitors, volunteers, staff, etc.) in any form. Demeaning or harassing sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any convention venue, including talks. Attendees violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the convention, without a refund, at the discretion of the convention organizers.
Harassment includes offensive verbal comments, (related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, etc.) sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact and unwelcome sexual attention. Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
Exhibitors are also subject to the anti-harassment policy. In particular, exhibitors should not use overtly sexualized images, activities, or other material. Booth staff, including volunteers, should not use overtly sexualized clothing/ uniforms/ costumes, or otherwise create a highly sexualized environment.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the convention organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender or expelling them from the convention without a refund. If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of convention staff immediately. Convention staff can be identified by their volunteer shirts/ special badges/ headsets.
Convention staff will be happy to help participants contact hotel/venue security or local law enforcement, provide escorts, or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the convention. We value your attendance.