Hal-Con Reading and Discussion Series
Reading and Discussion Series – Events
Prefer to observe and learn? No RSVP required. Our session includes a reading from a local author, discussion, and plenty of time to mingle with other local writers with coffee/tea/hot chocolate and sweets. There is no cost to attend.
Our next event is happening on Sunday, September 22 from 2pm-4pm at Halifax Central Library in Room 301. Author guest is Julian Smith.
About our author:
Julian Mortimer Smith is a science fiction and fantasy writer based in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. His work has been published in Asimov’s, Terraform, Lightspeed, Best American Science Fiction & Fantasy, and other venues.
Want to Participate?
Are you a storyteller looking for a platform to share your work? Are you interested in learning new skills or expanding your storytelling community? Well, you’re in the right place!
- Submission Period will be from now through September 6, 2019. Hal-Con reserves the right to end the period early depending on the volume of submissions.
- Maximum two submissions of original work per person.
- We are looking for genre fiction, anything science fiction or fantasy will fit.
- Submissions must be appropriate for all ages, to be determined by the selection committee.
- Submissions are welcome from anyone in the Maritime region but if selected the author should be available for a March 31st appearance in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- Any work can be submitted, short stories, excerpts from longer work, or poems. (1500 word limit.)
- All selected storytellers will be informed within 5 days of the closing of the Submission Period.
- Submissions should be emailed as a Word Document or PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org
We are pleased to work in partnership with the Department of Communities, Culture and Heritage to develop and promote our cultural resources for all Nova Scotians. Funding for this program was generously contributed by the Cultural Innovation Fund. We wish to thanks the Province of Nova Scotia and the Halifax Public Library for their support for this program.
Saturday, May 19th, 2018 at the Halifax Central Library with Nicola R. White.
Sunday, August 26th, 2018 at the Halifax Central Library with Elaine McCluskey.
Saturday, December 8th, 2018 at the MacPhee Centre for Creative Learning with Shawna Romkey
Sunday, March 31st, 2019 at Halifax Central Library with Sarah Sawler.